Denver’s Best Roofing Company
Colorado Window Source Denver is one of the top roofing company that has been providing professional roofing services in Denver and other Colorado regions. Roofing can be a very stressful to homeowners when the time for replacement arises. We have tried to cover the major areas that will help ease some of the stress. Below are some frequently asked questions and general information in regards to a roofing system. We here and Colorado Window Source Denver are dedicated to providing accurate information and assessments of your current roof. We do provide free inspections to assist you with your insurance or non-insurance replacement.
- Critical areas of a roofing system
- Several areas of a roofing system will utilize flashing to ensure the movement of water to the gutters and off the roof.
- These flashing include but are not limited to drip edge, step flashing, counter flashing, and chimney crickets. All should be replaced with any new roofing system
- Proper ventilation of a roofing system is critical for performance.
- The life of a roof can be affected by improper ventilation. Movement of air to ensure the attic areas stay dry and do not overheat is very important. Soffit vents, gable vents, and ridge vents are several types of vents needed.
- Most roofs these days have what’s called valleys. These are areas that channel water off the roof. These of course are critical for the volume of water they carry and the potential for water invasion, and should be replaced with the new roofing system.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my roof is hail damaged?
There is no way to know from looking at the roof on the ground if your roof is hail damaged. An inspection and test area on each elevation is needed to determine that. We here at Colorado Window Source Denver will provide a free assessment of the roof so you can then decide if you wish to make a claim. Just calling your insurance company to make a claim can work against you as they will consider it a claim even if you have no damage.
How does hail damage a roof?
- A hail storm must have several components to damage a roof. Intensity of the hail, size, and how solid the stone is. These storms have bands of intensity starting with the center being the most intense.
- An asphalt roof is damaged when the stone knocks off the protective layer of aggregate exposing the asphalt. When the asphalt is exposed to the UV Rays it breaks down and will eventually leak.
- Tile roofs are damaged when the stone cracks the tile shingle. This can in turn expose the asphalt under layment that is drying in the roof.
- Shake roofs are damaged when the stone cracks the shingle into smaller pieces which will work its way off the roof exposing the asphalt under layment drying in the roof.
Is tearing off the existing roof required?
Most jurisdictions do require you tear off to the decking and rebuild the roof system. Some will allow up to 2 layers. Its not recommended for the added weight to the roof and multiple layers do not bode well for performance.
When is re-decking a roof required?
In most cases re-decking is not required. Maybe some areas need attention. If your decking is what is called spaced slat decking, where there is a half inch or more space between boards then re-deck is required to properly install the new shingles.
Are new shingles designed for high winds?
Yes, most jurisdictions in the Denver area will require a shingle that is rated with a certain wind rating. It will vary by location.
Are new gutters required when replacing the roof?
They are not required, but it’s a good time to consider new gutters if they are in need of attention. Whenever you need roofing services in Denver and you are not sure about it, just get in touch with our team and we will carry out an assessment to determine what needs done.
How does wind damage a roof?
High winds and gusts will lift up the edge of the shingles and bend them back, eventually breaking them off. Each shingle has a sealing strip that seals to the shingle below it. When that is worn out wind damage will occur.
When is a roof getting to the end of its effective life?
A roof is reaching the end of its effective life when the shingles are starting to curl up on the edges. Also when aggregate is knocked off and the asphalt is exposed to the UV rays. It will eventually start leaking and causing problems.
At Colorado Window Source Denver, you provide not just labor services for installing or repairing a particular kind roof, but also consultant advice related to what would suit your home better according to your goals, ideas, and expectations. Some of the services that we do offer to help increase the value of your property include painting, decks and patios, window replacement, hail damage repair and door installation. Get in touch with us today and we will discuss with you all the options available in regards to our roofing services in Denver.